The University of Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland's four ancient universities. Located in Glasgow, United Kingdom, the university was founded in 1451 and is presently one of nineteen British higher education institutions ranked amongst the top 100 of the worldSony PCG-71313M battery.
A major centre of the Scottish Enlightenment during the 18th century, in the 19th century (while continuing to educate the upper classes), Glasgow became a pioneer in British higher education by providing for the needs of students from the growing urban and commercial middle classes. Glasgow served all of these students by preparing them for professionsSony PCG-71212M battery: the law, medicine, civil service, teaching, and the church. It also trained smaller numbers for careers in science and engineering. In 2007, the Sunday Times ranked it as "Scottish University of the Year." The university is a member of the elite Russell Group and of Universitas 21Sony PCG-71311M battery.
Since 1870, the main University campus has been located on Gilmorehill in the West End of the city. Additionally, a number of university buildings are located elsewhere: a facility at Loch Lomond, the University Marine Biological Station Millport, and the Crichton Campus in Dumfries.
Glasgow has departments of Law, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, and Dentistry—a position that is unique amongst the other universities in ScotlandSony PCG-71213M battery.
Alumni of the University include six Nobel laureates, two British Prime Ministers and several leaders of Britain's and Scotland's major political parties.
The Main Building of the University, viewed from Kelvingrove Park
The East Quadrangle of the Main Building.
The University of Glasgow was founded in 1451 AD by a charter or papal bull from Pope Nicholas V, at the suggestion of King James II, giving Bishop William Turnbull permission to add the university to the city's cathedral. Sony PCG-61211M battery It is the second-oldest university in Scotland, and the fourth-oldest in the English-speaking world. The universities of St Andrews, Glasgow and Aberdeen are ecclesiastical foundations, while Edinburgh was a civic foundation.
The University has been without its original Bull, since the mid-sixteenth century. In 1560, during the political unrest accompanying the Scottish ReformationSony VAIO VPCF24Q1E battery, the then chancellor, Archbishop James Beaton, a supporter of the Marian cause, fled to France. He took with him for safe-keeping many of the archives and valuables of the Cathedral and the University, including the Mace and the Bull. Although the Mace was sent back in 1590, the archives were not. Principal Dr James Fall told the Parliamentary Commissioners of Visitation on 28 August 1690, that he had seen the Bull at the Scots College in ParisSony VAIO VPCF13M1E/H battery, together with the many charters granted to the University by the monarchs of Scotland from James II to Mary, Queen of Scots. The University enquired of these documents in 1738 but was informed by Thomas Innes and the superiors of the Scots College, that the original records of the foundation of the University were not to be found. If they had not been lost by this timeSony VAIO VPCF12Z1E/BI battery, they certainly went astray during the French Revolution when the Scots College was under threat. Its records and valuables were moved for safe-keeping out of the city of Paris. The Bull remains the authority by which the University awards degrees.
Glasgow is the only tertiary-education establishment in Scotland that offers a complete range of professional studies, including law, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, and engineering, combined with a comprehensive range of academic studiesSony VAIO VPCF12S1E/B battery, including science, social science, ancient and modern languages, literature, theology and history.
Teaching at the University began in the chapterhouse of Glasgow Cathedral, subsequently moving to nearby Rottenrow, in a building known as the "Auld Pedagogy". The University was given 13 acres (53,000 m2) of land belonging to the Black Friars (Dominicans) on High Street by MarySony VAIO VPCF13Z8E/BI battery, Queen of Scots, in 1563. By the late 17th century, the University building centred on two courtyards surrounded by walled gardens, with a clock tower, which was one of the notable features of Glasgow's skyline, and a chapel adapted from the church of the former Dominican (Blackfriars) friary. Remnants of this Scottish Renaissance building, mainly parts of the main facadeSony VAIO VPCF13Z8E battery, were transferred to the Gilmorehill campus and renamed as the "Pearce Lodge", after Sir William Pearce, the shipbuilding magnate who funded its preservation. The Lion and Unicorn Staircase was also transferred from the old college site and is now attached to the Main Building.
John Anderson, while professor of natural philosophy at the university, and with some opposition from his colleagues,Sony VAIO VPCF13M1E/B battery pioneered vocational education for working men and women during the industrial revolution. To continue this work in his will he founded Anderson's College, which was associated with the university before merging with other institutions to become the University of Strathclyde in 1964.
The view over the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum from the University of Glasgow tower
The University's teaching quality was assessed in 2009 to be among the top 10 in the United Kingdom, along with its reputation as a "research powerhouse"Sony VAIO VPCF1318E/H battery, whose income from annual research contracts also placing among the top 10 the UK. The university overall generates a total income of over £421,000,000 per year- also amongst the top 10 in the UK. The University is a member of the Russell Group of research-led British universities and was a founding member of the organisation, Universitas 21, Sony VAIO VPCF13J0E/H battery an international grouping of universities dedicated to setting worldwide standards for higher education. The university currently has fifteen Regius Professorships, nearly twice the number held by the next nearest, Oxford.
Glasgow has the fourth largest financial endowment among UK universities at £133m, and the fifth largest endowment per student, according to the Sutton Trust, with investment in facilities of over £150 million in the last 5 years. Sony VAIO VPCF13E8E battery
In the 2011/12 QS World University Rankings Glasgow jumped from 77th overall in 2010 to 59th overall in the world in 2011 (in 2010 Times Higher Education World University Rankings and QS World University Rankings parted ways to produce separate rankings). According to The Times Good University Guide and The Guardian University Guide 2009, Sony VAIO VPCF13E4E battery Glasgow University was ranked amongst the top 20 universities in the UK. In the most recent Times Higher Education World rankings of universities, Glasgow is among only a handful of UK universities in the top 100, placed at 13th in the UK and 79th in the World.
The Hunterian Museum, from University Avenue
The University has recently published its "Building on Excellence" strategy for 2006-2010. The University's strategic plan sets out the ambition to be one of the best universities in the worldSony VAIO VPCF12M1E/H battery. The University aims to be recognised as one of the UK's top 10 universities and as one of the world's top 50 research-intensive universities.
As of March 2012, the University had almost 17,000 undergraduate and over 6,000 postgraduate students. Glasgow has a large (for the UK) proportion of "home" students, with 40 per cent of the student body coming from the West of Scotland, an additional 39 per cent from elsewhere in the UK, leaving 16 per cent from elsewhere in the world.Sony VAIO VPCF12F4E/H battery More recently the University has started to attract more overseas students, particularly from Asia. There are almost 6,000 staff, of whom 3,400 are researchers, bringing in £130M of research income (2006-7). Twenty-three subject areas, and 96 per cent of staff, were awarded 5 or 5* ratings in the 2001 Research Assessment Exercise. Sony VAIO VPCF12E1E/H battery
The most recent rankings from Times Higher Education, compiled by QS, place Glasgow in the top 75 Worldwide for Arts, Humanities, Biological Sciences, and Social Sciences. On top of this, recent statistics also show Glasgow to be among the top 10 in the UK for both entry standards, as well as the percentage of students who go on to gain first or upper second class honours degreesSony VAIO VPCF11Z1E/BI battery.
The University is ranked equal 101st by the Shanghai Jiao Tong University's Academic Ranking of World Universities. In 2008, it was ranked in 73rd place in the Top 100 universities in the THE - QS World University Rankings 2008.
In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), almost 70% of research carried out at the university was in the top two categories (88% in the top three categories) Sony VAIO VPCF24M1E battery. Eighteen subject areas were rated top ten in the UK, whilst fourteen subject areas were rated the best in Scotland. The latest Times RAE table ranks according to an 'average' score across all departments, of which Glasgow posted an average of 2.6/4. The overall average placed Glasgow as the thirty-third highest of all UK universities, although placed fourteenth in the UK and second in Scotland for total Research PowerSony VAIO VPCF23S1E battery.
The University is currently spread over a number of different campuses. The main one is the Gilmorehill campus, in Hillhead. As well as this there is the Garscube Estate in Bearsden, housing the Veterinary School, Observatory, Ship model basin and much of the University's sports facilities, the Dental School in the city centre, and the Crichton campus in DumfriesSony VAIO VPCF231S1E battery, operated jointly by the University of Glasgow, the University of the West of Scotland and the Open University. The University has also established joint departments with the Glasgow School of Art and in naval architecture with the University of Strathclyde.
A model of the old High Street Building, in the Hunterian MuseumSony VAIO VPCF23Q1E battery.
The University of Glasgow in 1650.
The University's initial accommodation was part of the complex of religious buildings in the precincts of Glasgow Cathedral. In 1460, the University received a grant of land from James, Lord Hamilton, on the east side of the High Street, immediately north of the Blackfriars Church, on which it had its home for the next four hundred years. In the mid-seventeenth centurySony VAIO VPCF23M1E battery, the Hamilton Building was replaced with a very grand two-court building with a decorated west front facing the High Street, called the "Nova Erectio", or New Building. In Sir Walter Scott's bestselling 1817 novel Rob Roy, set at the time of the first Jacobite Uprising of 1715, the lead character fights a duel in the New Building grounds before the fight is broken up by Rob Roy MacGregorSony VAIO VPCF22S8E battery.
Over the following centuries, the University's size and scope continued to expand. In 1757 it built the Macfarlane Observatory and later Scotland's first public museum, the Hunterian. It was a centre of the Scottish Enlightenment and subsequently of the Industrial Revolution, and its expansion in the High Street was constrainedSony VAIO VPCF22S1E battery. The area around the University declined as well-off residents moved westwards with expansion of the city and overcrowding of the immediate area by less well-off residents. It was this rapid slumming of the area that was a chief catalyst of the University's migration westward.
The new buildings of the University of Glasgow at Gilmorehill, circa 1895.
The University's tower overlooking Kelvingrove Park, as seen from Partick Bridge over the River KelvinSony VAIO VPCF22M1E battery
Consequently, in 1870, it moved to a (then greenfield) site on Gilmorehill in the West End of the city, around three miles (5 km) west of its previous location, enclosed by a large meander of the River Kelvin. The original site on the High Street was sold to the City of Glasgow Union Railway and replaced by the College Goods yard. The new-build campus was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic revival styleSony VAIO VPCF22L1E battery. The largest of these buildings echoed, on a far grander scale, the original High Street campus's twin-quadrangle layout, and may have been inspired by Ypres' late medieval Cloth Hall; Gilmorehill in turn inspired the design of the Clocktower complex of buildings for the new University of Otago in New Zealand. In 1879, Gilbert Scott's sonSony VAIO VPCF22J1E battery, Oldrid, completed this original vision by building an open undercroft forming two quadrangles, above which is his grand Bute Hall (used for examinations and graduation ceremonies). Oldrid also later added a spire to the buildings' signature gothic bell tower in 1887. The local Bishopbriggs blond sandstone cladding and Gothic design of the building's exterior belie the modernity of its Victorian constructionSony VAIO VPCF11S1E/B battery; Scott's building is structured upon what was then a cutting-edge riveted iron frame construction, supporting a lightweight wooden-beam roof. The building also forms the second-largest example of Gothic revival architecture in Britain, after the Palace of Westminster. An illustration of the Main Building currently features on the reverse side of the current series of £100 notes issued by the Clydesdale Bank. Sony VAIO VPCF11M1E/H battery
The University's Hunterian Museum resides in the Main Building, and the related Hunterian Gallery is housed in buildings adjacent to the University Library. The latter includes "The Mackintosh House", a rebuilt terraced house designed by, and furnished after, architect Charles Rennie MackintoshSony VAIO VPCF11D4E battery.
Even these enlarged premises could not contain the expanding University, which quickly spread across much of Gilmorehill. The 1930s saw the construction of the award-winning round Reading Room (it is now a category-A listed building) and an aggressive programme of house purchases, in which the University Sony VAIO VPCF11C5E battery(fearing the surrounding district of Hillhead was running out of suitable building land) acquired several terraces of Victorian houses and joined them together internally. The departments of Psychology, Computing Science and most of the Arts Faculty continue to be housed in these terraces.
The Department of History building occupies what were former townhouses on University AvenueSony VAIO VPCF11C4E/B battery.
More buildings were built to the west of the Main Builidng, developing the land between University Avenue and the River Kelvin with natural science buildings and the faculty of medicine. The medical school spread into neighbouring Partick and joined with the Western General Infirmary. At the eastern flank of the Main Building, the James Watt Engineering Building was completed in 1959Sony VAIO PCG-31114M battery. The growth and prosperity of the city, which had originally forced the University's relocation to Hillhead, again proved problematic when more real estate was required. The school of veterinary medicine, which was founded in 1862, moved to a new campus in the leafy surrounds of Garscube Estate, around two miles (3 km) west of the main campus, in 1954. The university later moved its sports ground and associated facilities to Garscube and also built student halls of residence in both Garscube and MaryhillSony VAIO PCG-31113M battery.
The growth of tertiary education, as a result of the Robbins Report in the 1960s, led the University to build numerous modern buildings across Hillhead, including several brutalist concrete blocks: the Mathematics building; the Boyd Orr Building and the Adam Smith building (housing the Faculty of Law, Business and Social Sciences, named after university graduate Adam Smith). Other additions around this timeSony VAIO PCG-31112M battery, including the new glass-lined Glasgow University Library, Rankine Building for Civil Engineering (named for William John Macquorn Rankine) and the amber-brick Gregory Building (housing the Geology department), were more in keeping with Gilmorehill's leafy suburban architecture. The erection of these buildings in the late 1960s however involved the demolition of a large number of houses in Ashton RoadSony VAIO PCG-31111M battery, and rerouting the west end of University Avenue to its current position. To cater for the expanding student population, a new refectory, known as the Hub, was opened adjacent to the library in 1966. The Glasgow University Union also had an extension completed in 1965 and the new Queen Margaret Union building opened in 1969Sony VAIO PCG-41112M battery.
In October 2001 the century-old Bower Building (previously home to the university's botany department) was gutted by fire. The interior and roof of the building were largely destroyed, although the main facade remained intact. After a £10.8 million refit, the building re-opened in November 2004Sony VAIO PCG-41111M battery.
The Wolfson Medical School Building, with its award-winning glass-fronted atrium, opened in 2002, and in 2003, the St Andrews Building was opened, housing the Faculty of Education. It is sited a short walk from Gilmorehill, in the Woodlands area of the city on the site of the former Queens College, which had in turn been bought by Glasgow Caledonian UniversitySONY VAIO PCG-21212M battery, from whom the university acquired the site. It replaced the St Andrews Campus in Bearsden. The University also procured the former Hillhead Congregational Church, converting it into a lecture theatre in 2005. The Sir Alwyn Williams building, designed by Reiach and Hall, was completed at Lilybank Terrace in 2007, housing the Department of Computing ScienceSONY VAIO PCG-21211M battery.
Main article: University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel
The University Chapel was constructed as a memorial to the 755 sons of the University who had lost their lives in the First World War. Designed by Sir John Burnet, it was completed in 1929 and dedicated on 4 October. Tablets on the wall behind the Communion Table list the names of those who died, while other tablets besides the stalls record the 405 members of the University community who gave their lives in the Second World WarSONY VAIO PCG-51212M battery. Most of the windows are the work of Douglas Strachan, although some have been added over the years, including those on the South Wall, created by Alan Younger.
Daily services are held in the Chapel during term-time, as well as seasonal events. Before Christmas, there is a Service of Nine Lessons and Carols on the last Sunday of term, and a Watchnight service on Christmas EveSONY VAIO PCG-51211M battery. Graduates, students, members of staff and the children of members of staff are entitled to be married in the Chapel, which is also used for baptisms and funerals. Civil marriages and civil partnerships may be blessed in the Chapel, although under UK law may not be performed there.
The current Chaplain of the University is the Reverend Stuart MacQuarrie, and the University appoints Honorary Chaplains of other denominationsSONY VAIO PCG-51112M battery.
Library and Archives
The University's library houses over two and a half million volumes.
The University Library, situated on Hillhead Street opposite the Main Building, is one of the oldest and largest libraries in Europe. Situated over 12 floors, it holds more than 2.5 million books and journals, as well as providing access to an extensive range of electronic resources including over 30,000 electronic journals. It also houses sections for periodicals, microfilms, special collections and rare materials. SONY VAIO PCG-51111M battery Open between 7am-2am, 361 days of the year, the Library provides a resource not only for the academic community in Glasgow, but also for scholars worldwide. There are study spaces for more than 2,500 students, with over 800 computers, and wi-fi access is available throughout the building.
In addition to the main library, subject libraries also exist for Chemistry, Dental Medicine, Veterinary MedicineSONY VAIO PCG-81212M battery, Education, Law, and the faculty of Social Sciences, which are held in branch libraries around the campus. In 2007, a state of the art section to house the library's collection of historic photographs was opened, funded by the Wolfson Foundation.
The Archives of the University of Glasgow are the central place of deposit for the records of the University, created and accumulated since its foundation in 1451Sony VAIO PCG-81112M battery.
Crichton Campus, Dumfries
Main article: The Crichton
The University opened a campus in the town of Dumfries in Dumfries and Galloway during the 1980s. The Crichton campus, designed to meet the needs for tertiary education in an area far from major concentrations of population, is operated jointly by the University of Glasgow, the University of the West of Scotland and the Open UniversitySONY VAIO PCG-71111M battery. It offers a modular undergraduate curriculum, leading to one of a small number of liberal arts degrees, as well as providing the region's only access to postgraduate study.
As well as these teaching campuses the University has halls of residence in and around the North-West of the city, accommodating a total of approximately 3,500 students. These are the Murano Street halls in Maryhill; Wolfson halls on the Garscube EstateSONY VAIO PCG-7196M battery; Queen Margaret halls, in Kelvinside; Cairncross House and Kelvinhaugh Gate, in Yorkhill. In recent years, Dalrymple House and Horslethill halls in Dowanhill, Reith halls in North Kelvinside and the Maclay halls in Park Circus (near Kelvingrove Park), have closed and been sold, as the development value of such property increased.
The Stevenson Building on Gilmorehill, opened in 1961 and provides students with the use of a fitness suite, squash courts, sauna and six-lane 25m swimming poolSONY VAIO PCG-7195M battery. The University also has a large sports complex on the Garscube Estate, beside their Wolfson Halls and Vet School. This is a new facility, replacing the previous Westerlands sports ground in the Anniesland area of the city, which was sold for housing. The university also has a boathouse situated at Glasgow Green on the River Clyde. It is out of here that the Glasgow University Boat Club trainsSONY VAIO PCG-7194M battery.
Governance and administration
Eastern section of the Main Building of the University.
Further information: Ancient university governance in Scotland
In common with the other ancient universities of Scotland the University's constitution is laid out in the Universities (Scotland) Acts. These Acts create a tripartite structure of bodies: the University Court (governing body), the Academic Senate (academic affairs) and the General Council (advisory). There is also a clear separation between governance and executive administrationSONY VAIO PCG-7192M battery.
The University's constitution, academic regulations, and appointments are authoritatively described in the University calendar, while other aspects of its story and constitution are detailed in a separate "history" document.
There are several officers of the university. The role of each involves management of the operations of GlasgowSONY PCG-8113M battery.
Main article: Chancellor of the University of Glasgow
The Chancellor is the titular head of the University and President of the General Council. He awards all degrees, although this duty is generally carried out by the Vice-Chancellor, appointed by him. The current Chancellor is Professor Sir Kenneth Calman and the current Vice-Chancellor is the Principal, Professor Anton MuscatelliSONY PCG-8112M battery.
Main article: Rector of the University of Glasgow
All students at the University are eligible to vote in the election of the Rector (officially styled "Lord Rector"), who holds office for a three year term and chairs the University Court. In the past, this position has been a largely honorary and ceremonial one, and has been held by political figures including William Gladstone, Benjamin Disraeli, Andrew Bonar LawSONY PCG-7134M battery, Robert Peel, Raymond Poincaré, Arthur Balfour, and 1970s union activist Jimmy Reid, and latterly by celebrities such as TV presenters Arthur Montford and Johnny Ball, musician Pat Kane, and actors Richard Wilson, Ross Kemp and Greg Hemphill. In 2004, for the first time in its history, the University was left without a Rector as no nominations were received. When the elections were run in DecemberSONY PCG-7131M battery , Mordechai Vanunu was chosen for the post, even though he was unable to attend due to restrictions placed upon him by the Israeli government. The current rector of the University, elected on 28 February 2008, is Charles Kennedy, the former leader of the Liberal Democrat party and former President of the Glasgow University Union. He was re-elected March 2011 and is currently in his second termSONY PCG-7122M battery .
Main article: Principal of the University of Glasgow
Day-to-day management of the University is undertaken by the University Principal (who is also Vice-Chancellor). The current principal is Professor Anton Muscatelli who replaced Sir Muir Russell in October 2009.
There are also several Vice-Principals, each with a specific remit. They, along with the Clerk of Senate, play a major role in the day to day management of the UniversitySONY PCG-7121M battery .
The governing body of the University is the University Court, which is responsible for contractual matters, employing staff, and all other matters relating to finance and administration. The Court takes decisions about the deployment of resources as well as formulating strategic plans for the university. The Court is chaired by the Rector, who is elected by all the matriculated students at the UniversitySONY PCG-7113M battery. The Secretary of Court is the Head of University Services, and assists the Principal in the day-to-day management of the University. The current Secretary of Court is Mr. David Newall.
The Academic Senate (or University Senate) is the body which is responsible for the management of academic affairs, and which recommends the conferment of degrees by the Chancellor. Membership of the Senate comprises all Professors of the UniversitySONY PCG-7112M battery , as well as elected academic members, representatives of the Student's Representative Council, the Secretary of Court and directors of University services (e.g. Library). The President of the Senate is the Principal.
The Clerk of Senate, who has status equivalent to that of a Vice-Principal and is a member of the Senior Management Group, has responsibility for regulation of the University's academic policy, such as dealing with plagiarism and the conduct of examanitionsSONY PCG-8Z3M battery . Notable Clerks of Senate have included the chemist, Professor Joseph Black; Professor John Anderson, father of the University of Strathclyde; and the economist, Professor John Millar.
There are also a number of committees of both the Court and Senate that make important decisions and investigate matters referred to them. As well as these bodies there is a General Council made up of the university graduates that is involved in the running of the University. The graduates also elect the Chancellor of the UniversitySONY PCG-8Z2M battery. A largely honorific post, the current Chancellor is Professor Sir Kenneth Calman, former Chief Medical Officer and former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Durham.
At the University's foundation in 1451, there were four original faculties: Arts, Divinity, Law and Medicine. The Faculty of Divinity became a constituent school of the Faculty of Arts in 2002, while the Faculty of Law was changed in 1984 into the Faculty of Law and Financial Studies, and in 2005 became the Faculty of Law, Business and Social Sciences. SONY PCG-8Z1M batteryAlthough one of the original faculties established, teaching in the Faculty of Medicine did not begin formally until 1714, with the revival of the Chair in the Practice of Medicine. The Faculty of Science was formed in 1893 from Chairs removed from the Faculties of Arts and Medicine, and subsequently divided in 2000 to form the three Faculties of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Computing ScienceSONY PCG-8Y3M battery, Mathematics and Statistics (now Information and Mathematical Sciences) and Physical Sciences. The Faculty of Social Sciences was formed from Chairs in the Faculty of Arts in 1977, and merged to form the Faculty of Law, Business and Social Sciences in 2005, the two having operated as a single 'resource unit' since 2002. The Faculty of Engineering was formally established in 1923SONY PCG-8Y2M battery, although engineering had been taught at the University since 1840 when Queen Victoria founded the UK's first Chair of Engineering. Through a concordat ratified in 1913, Royal Technical College (later Royal College of Science and Technology and now University of Strathclyde) students received Glasgow degrees in applied sciences, particularly engineering. It was in 1769 when James Watt's engineering at Glasgow led to a stable steam engine and, subsequentlySONY PCG-7Z1M battery, the Industrial Revolution. The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was established in 1862 as the independent Glasgow Veterinary College, being subsumed into the University in 1949 and gaining independent Faculty status in 1969. The Faculty of Education was formed when the University merged with St Andrew's College of Education in 1999.SONY PCG-6W2M battery
On 1 August 2010, the former Faculties of the University were removed and replaced by a system of four larger Colleges, intended to encourage interdisciplinary research and make the University more competitive. This structure was similar to that at other universities, including the University of EdinburghSONY PCG-5J5M battery.
Notable alumni and staff
Main articles: List of University of Glasgow people and List of Professorships at the University of Glasgow
Many distinguished figures have taught, worked and studied at the University of Glasgow, including six Nobel laureates and two Prime Ministers, Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman and Andrew Bonar Law. Famous names include the physicist, Lord Kelvin, 'father of economics' Adam SmithSONY PCG-5K2M battery , James Watt, John Logie Baird, Joseph Black, Sir John Boyd Orr, Professor Sam Karunaratne, Francis Hutcheson and Joseph Lister.
In more recent times, the University boasts one of Europe's largest collections of life scientists, as well as having been the training ground of numerous politicians, including former First Minister Donald Dewar, fomer leader of the Liberal Democrats and current Rector of the University Charles Kennedy, Liam Fox, John Smith, Sir Menzies Campbell and current Deputy First Minister Nicola SturgeonSONY PCG-5K1M battery.
Unlike other universities in Scotland, Glasgow does not have a single students' association; instead, there exist a number of bodies concerned with the representation, welfare and entertainment of students. As a result of the university's retention of its separate male and female students' unions (which since 1980 have both admitted men and women as full members whilst retaining their separate identities) SONY PCG-5J4M battery there are two entirely separate students' unions, as well as a sports association and students' representative council. None of these is affiliated to the National Union of Students: membership has been rejected on a number of occasions, most recently in November 2006, on both economic and political grounds. A student run "No to NUS" campaign won a campus wide refarendum with more that 90% of the vote. SONY PCG-5J1M battery
In common with the other ancient universities of Scotland, students at Glasgow also elect a Rector.
Students' Representative Council
Main article: Glasgow University Students' Representative Council
The Students' Representative Council is the legal representative body for students, as recognised by the Universities (Scotland) Act 1889. The SRC is responsible for representing students' interests to the management of the University and to local and national government, and for health and welfare issues. Under the Universities SONY PCG-5G2M battery (Scotland) Acts, all students of the University automatically become members of the SRC, however they are entitled to opt out of this. Members of the SRC sit on various committees throughout the University, from Departmental level to the Senate and Court.
The SRC organises RAG (Raising And Giving) Week and SHaG (Sexual Health at Glasgow) Week, as well as funding some 130 clubs and societiesSony VAIO PCG-8131M battery.
The Glasgow University Union's building at the bottom of University Avenue
Main articles: Glasgow University Union and Queen Margaret Union
In addition to the Students' Representative Council, students are commonly members of one of the University's two students' unions, the Glasgow University Union (GUU) and the Queen Margaret Union (QMU). These are largely social and cultural institutions, providing their members with facilities for debating, dining, recreation, socialising, and drinkingSony VAIO PCG-8152M battery, and both have a number of meeting rooms available for rental to members. Postgraduate students, mature students and staff were previously able to join the Hetherington Research Club, however large debts led to the club being closed in February 2010. However, in February 2011, students gained access to the old HRC building, situated at 13 University Gardens (Hetherington House) and have now "reopened" it as the Free HetheringtonSony VAIO PCG-31311M battery, a social centre for learning and lectures, as well as protesting the shutting down of the club. Attempts to evict this occupation resulted in complaints of heavy-handed policing and much controversy on campus.
The separate unions exist due to the University's previous male-only status; the Glasgow University Union was founded before the admission of women to the University, while the Queen Margaret Union was originally the union of Queen Margaret CollegeSony VAIO PCG-31111M battery, a women-only college which merged with the University in 1892. Their continued separate existence is due largely to their individual atmospheres. While the GUU's focus is mainly towards people involved in sports and debates (as among its founders were the Athletic Association and Dialectic Society), the QM is one of Glasgow's premier music venues, and has played host to NirvanaSony VAIO PCG-8112M battery, Biffy Clyro and Franz Ferdinand. However, many students choose to frequent both unions.
Glasgow has led the UK's university debating culture since 1953. In 1955, the GUU won the Observer Mace, now the John Smith Memorial Mace, named after the deceased GUU debater and former leader of the British Labour Party. The GUU has since won the Mace debating championship fourteen more times, more than any other universitySony VAIO PCG-7186M battery. The GUU has also won the World Universities Debating Championships five times, more than any other university or club in the series' history.
Glasgow University Sports Association
Main article: Glasgow University Sports Association
Sporting affairs are regulated by the Glasgow University Sports Association (GUSA) (previously the Glasgow University Athletics Club) which works closely with the Sport and Recreation Service. There are a large number of varied clubs, who regularly compete in BUSA competitionsSony VAIO PCG-7171M battery. Students who join one of the sports clubs affiliated with the university must also join GUSA. However there are also regular classes and drop-in sessions for various sports which are non-competitive and available to all university gym members.
Student clubs and societies
The University has an eclectic body of clubs and societies, including sports teams, political and religious groups and gaming societiesSony VAIO PCG-9Z1M battery.
Mature Students' Association
The community of mature students - that is those students aged 25 or over - are served by the Mature Students' Association located at 62 Oakfield Avenue. The MSA aims are to provide all mature students with facilities for recreation and study. Throughout the year, the MSA also organises social events and peer support for the wide range of subjects studied by the university's mature students. Sony VAIO PCG-5S1M battery
There is an active student media scene at the University, part of, but editorially independent from, the SRC. There is a newspaper, the Glasgow University Guardian; Glasgow University Magazine; Glasgow University Student Television; and Subcity Radio. In recent years, independent of the SRC, the Queen Margaret Union has published a fortnightly magazine, qmunicate, and Glasgow University Union has produced the GUUiSony VAIO PCG-5P1M battery.
The University of Alberta (U of A) is a public research university located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It was founded in 1908 by Alexander Cameron Rutherford, the first premier of Alberta and Henry Marshall Tory, its first president. It has been recognized by the ARWU as one of the best universities in Canada. The university's main campus consists of over 90 buildings and covers 50 city blocks on the south rim of the North Saskatchewan River valleySony VAIO PCG-5N2M battery, directly across from downtown Edmonton. Its enabling legislation is the Post-secondary Learning Act.
The university's finances have been troubled since the 2008 economic downturn. In 2005, the economic boom in Alberta, driven mainly by high energy prices, had resulted in multi-billion dollar government fiscal surpluses. This led to the introduction of Bill 1 by the provincial government, which created a $4.5 billion endowment for Alberta's post-secondary institutions. Sony VAIO PCG-3C2M battery But by 2009, declining returns from the university's investments led to a $59 million budget shortfall. Shortly thereafter, the Alberta Government announced that the postsecondary budget allocation would remain stagnant in 2010, eliminating an additional $15 million in expected funding to the university. The university responded by increasing student fees by $570 a year and by laying off professors and support staffSony VAIO PCG-8161M battery.
History and overview
The University of Alberta was founded on May 8, 1906 in Edmonton, Alberta. The University of Alberta, a single, public provincial university, was chartered in 1906 in Edmonton, Alberta with a new University Act. University of Alberta was modelled on the American state university, with an emphasis on extension work and applied research.Sony VAIO PCG-8141M battery
University of Alberta is a non-denominational university which offers undergraduate and graduate programs. With the hiring of Henry Marshall Tory in 1907, the University of Alberta started operation in 1908 using temporary facilities, while the first building on campus was under construction. Sony VAIO PCG-3J1M battery
In a letter from Henry Marshall Tory to Alexander Cameron Rutherford in early 1906, while he is in the process of setting up McGill University College in Vancouver, Tory writes "If you take any steps in the direction of a working University and wish to avoid the mistakes of the past, mistakes which have fearfully handicapped other institutions, you should start on a teaching basis." Sony VAIO PCG-3H1M battery The University of Alberta was established by the University Act, 1906 in the first session of the new Legislative Assembly, with Premier Alexander C. Rutherford as its sponsor.
The governance was modelled on Ontario's University of Toronto Act of 1906 which established a bicameral system of university government consisting of a senate (faculty), responsible for academic policy, and a board of governors (citizens) exercising exclusive control over financial policy and having formal authority in all other mattersSony VAIO PCG-3F1M battery. The president, appointed by the board, was to provide a link between the 2 bodies and to perform institutional leadership.
On September 23, 1908 forty-five students attended classes in English, mathematics and modern languages, on the top floor of the Queen Alexandra Elementary School in Strathcona. Dr. Henry Marshall Tory (1864–1947) was the first director. Sony VAIO PCG-3C1M battery
Percy Erskine Nobbs & Frank Darling designed the master plan for the University of Alberta 1909–10. Nobbs designed the Arts Building (1914–15); laboratories and Power House (1914). With Cecil S. Burgess, Nobbs designed the Provincial College of Medicine (1920–21). 
Herbert Alton Magoon (architect) designed several buildings on campus including: the residence for Prof. Rupert C. Lodge, 1913; and St. Stephen's Methodist College, on the campus of the University of Alberta, 1910. Sony VAIO PCG-9Z2L battery
It awarded its first degrees in 1912. In 1912 the university established its Department of Extension. In the early part of 20th century, professional education expanded beyond the traditional fields of theology, law and medicine. Graduate training based on the German-inspired American model of specialized course work and the completion of a research thesis was introduced. Sony VAIO PCG-9Z1L batteryIn 1929, the university established a School of Education. In 1932, the University Department of Extension established the Banff School of Finer Arts.
The policy of university education initiated in the 1960s responded to population pressure and the belief that higher education was a key to social justice and economic productivity for individuals and for society. On September 19, 1960 the university opened a new 130 hectare campus in Calgary, Alberta. Sony VAIO PCG-9131L battery
In 1966, the University of Alberta introduced a masters program in community development.
The single-university policy in the West was changed as existing colleges of the provincial universities gained autonomy as universities – the University of Calgary was established in 1966. The University of Alberta first offered programs of study at Calgary in 1945 and continued until 1966 when the University of Calgary was established as an autonomous institution. Sony VAIO PCG-8161L battery Canada's first organ transplant research group was established at the University of Alberta on April 2, 1970, by the Medical Research Council.
In 1976, structural engineer Reuben VandeKraats made the decision to add a more complex building style to the newly designed science and art wings of the school.
Gladys Young donated $3.7 million to the university undergraduate scholarship fund in memory of Roland Young, who graduated from UA in 1928Sony VAIO PCG-8152L battery.
The location of the university was to be decided along the same lines as that of Saskatchewan. (The province of Saskatchewan shares the same founding date as Alberta, 1905.) Saskatchewan had to please two competing cities when deciding the location of its capital city and provincial university. Thus, Regina was designated the provincial capital and Saskatoon received the provincial university, the University of SaskatchewanSony VAIO PCG-8141L battery. The same heated wrangling over the location of the provincial capital also took place in Alberta between the cities of Calgary and Edmonton. It was stated that the capital would be north of the North Saskatchewan River and that the university would be in a city south of it. In the end the city of Edmonton became capital and the then-separate city of Strathcona on the south bank of the riverSony VAIO PCG-8131L battery, where Premier Alexander Rutherford lived, was granted the university, much to the chagrin of Calgary, for many years to come.
Meanwhile, in 1912 the two cities of Edmonton and Strathcona were amalgamated under the name of the former; Edmonton had thus became both the political and academic capital, at the expense of Calgary. This was just one act in a larger rivalry between the two cities, often called the Battle of AlbertaSony VAIO PCG-81312L battery.
In 1940 the Garneau neighbourhood adjacent to the University was chosen as the location for the Garneau Theatre, in large part an effort to garner the University students' patronage.
In 1913, a medical school established at the University of Alberta in Edmonton was opened. By 1920, the university had six faculties (Arts and Sciences, Applied Science, Agriculture, Medicine, Dentistry, and Law) and two schools (Pharmacy and Accountancy) Sony VAIO PCG-81214L battery. It awarded a range of degrees: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSA), Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Pharmacy (PhmB), Bachelor of Divinity (BD), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MSc), and Doctor of Laws (LLD). There were 851 male students and 251 female students, and 171 academic staff, including 14 women. Sony VAIO PCG-81115L battery
The university has two main newspapers, Folio and The Gateway. Folio is the official newspaper published by Marketing & Communications/University Relations every two weeks from September to June and once each in July and August. The Gateway is the official student newspaper. Fully autonomous, it publishes "most Wednesdays." Sony VAIO PCG-81114L battery
The university also has a monthly student newspaper, the Dagligtale, published at Augustana Campus in Camrose, Alberta.
In 1927, the university established the CKUA Educational radio station.
The University of Alberta Press, which was founded in 1969, concentrates on western Canadian history, general science and ecology. The University of Alberta Press publishes an average of between 20 and 30 books per year, often accepting submissions from across Canada for over 50% of the publications. Their current active title listing has more than 150 books, as of 2007Sony VAIO PCG-81113L battery.
Rutherford House, located on the north-east corner of the University of Alberta campus.
As of 1 December 2010, the U of A had approximately 38,200 students, including 7,300 graduate students and 5,800 international students representing 119 countries. The university has 3,506 academic staff along with about 10,640 support and trust staff. Sony VAIO PCG-7142L battery University professors have won more 3M Teaching Fellowships (Canada's top award for undergraduate teaching excellence) than any other Canadian university, 30 awards since 1986. The university offers post-secondary education in about 200 undergraduate and 170 graduate programs. Tuition and fees for both fall and winter semesters are slightly more than $5,000 for a typical undergraduate studentSony VAIO PCG-7141L battery, although they vary widely by program. The University of Alberta switched from a 9-point grading scale to the more common 4-point grading scale in September 2003. 67 Rhodes Scholars have come from the University of Alberta.
Faculties and colleges
See also: Faculties and departments of the University of Alberta
St. Joseph’s College at the University of Alberta
The chapel of Saint Joseph's College, University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Saint Stephen's College, University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The university has eighteen faculties and two affiliated collegesSony VAIO PCG-71111L battery.
Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences focuses on natural, biological, and human resources. The University of Alberta Faculty of Forestry is part of the AUFSC and has accredited baccalaureate of science programs.
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture – Pre-Veterinary Medicine Program; Bachelor of Science in Agriculture with Major in Agricultural and Resource EconomicsSony VAIO PCG-61411L battery; Bachelor of Science in Agriculture with Major in Animal Science; Bachelor of Science in Agriculture with Major in Crop Science; Bachelor of Science in Agriculture with Major in Range and Pasture Management; Bachelor of Science in Agriculture with Major in Sustainable Agricultural SystemsSony VAIO PCG-61112L battery
Master of Agriculture in Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science; Master of Agriculture in Agroforestry; Master of Agriculture in Forest Economics; Master of Agriculture in Rural Sociology; Master of Agriculture in Soil Science; Master of Agriculture in Water and Land Resources; Master of Business Administration / Master of AgricultureSony VAIO PCG-61111L battery
Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry & Home Economics: Dept. of Agricultural, Food & Nutritional Science has an accredited dietetic program. The university is accredited by a professional organization such as the Dietitians of Canada and the university's graduates may subseque
The Lecture Theatres section of the Humanities Centre.
Faculty of Arts is home to the spectrum of Arts programs and departments, from Anthropology to Women's Studies.
Augustana Faculty is located in a satellite campus in Camrose, Alberta. It comprises the departments of Fine Arts, Humanities, Physical Education, Science, and Social Sciences.
Alberta School of Business offers MBA, BCom, PhD, ExecEd, Exec MBA, and Master of Financial Management degreesSony VAIO PCG-5T3L battery.
Faculty of Education offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Elementary, Secondary Education, or combined.
The Mechanical Engineering Building.
The Natural Resources Engineering Facility.
The Earth Sciences building.
Faculty of Engineering offers undergraduate degrees in four engineering departments. Students can choose to specialize in the following disciplines: Engineering Physics, Materials Engineering, Mining Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical EngineeringSony VAIO PCG-5T2L battery.
University of Alberta Faculty of Extension is focusing on the lifelong Continuing Education and Professional Development.
Campus Saint-Jean is a Francophone faculty with programs in Sciences, Fine Arts and Languages, Social Sciences, and Education.
Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research maintains graduate studies.
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation focuses on the studies of human movement through sport science, kinesiology, physical education, physical activity and health, and tourism studies. Sony VAIO PCG-5S3L battery The Faculty of Physical Education offers undergraduate programs in Bachelor of Arts in Recreation and Sport Tourism, Bachelor of Physical Education,Bachelor of Physical Education/Education (5-year combined degree offered in conjunction with the Faculty of Education), and Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology. Sony VAIO PCG-5S2L battery
School of Public Health
Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine
Faculty of Science is made up of seven departments (Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computing Science, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, Physics and Psychology.) The faculty includes 6 Steacie Award winners, 16 winners of Rutherford Awards for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 26 Canada Research Chairs, 5 iCORE ChairsSony VAIO PCG-5S1L battery, 3 NSERC Chairs, 2 Alberta Ingenuity Centres of Excellence, and 10 members of the Royal Society of Canada. It has nearly 60 Bachelor of Science (BSc) programs in 39 subject areas.
The Rutherford Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The University of Alberta library system received a tremendous boost with the opening of the Rutherford Library in May 1951, and now has one of the largest research libraries systems in Canada. As of 2004, according to the Association of Research LibrariesSony VAIO PCG-5R2L battery, the library system is the second-largest, by the number of volumes held, among all Canadian universities, after the University of Toronto Library. In 2006, the university library was rated 20th in North America by the Association of Research Libraries (up from only 28th a year earlier). With over 5.7 million printed volumes combined with online access to more than 410,000 full-text electronic journals and more than 600 electronic databasesSony VAIO PCG-5R1L battery the library system ranks first in Canada in terms of the number of volumes per student.
School of Library and Information Studies
The university is also home to an American Library Association-accredited School of Library and Information Studies, which offers a Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) program. The School is hosted in Rutherford South, the original four-story brick, marble, and oak main campus library, which opened in 1951Sony VAIO PCG-5P4L battery.
Housing over 400 distinct research laboratories, the University of Alberta is one of the leading research universities in Canada. The university is a member of the G13 universities, which are the leading research universities in Canada. In the period from 1988 to 2006, the University of Alberta received about $3.4B for research from external sources, with $404M in 2005–2006 alone. Sony VAIO PCG-5P2L battery The University of Alberta is consistently ranked among the top research universities in Canada.
Medical researchers are developing the Edmonton Protocol, which is a new treatment for type one diabetes that enables diabetics to break their insulin dependence. The project was originally developed by Drs. James Shapiro, Jonathan Lakey, and Edmond Ryan. The first patient was treated in 1999. As of 2006, the project is developed through the Clinical Islet Transplant ProgramSony VAIO PCG-5N4L battery.
Population Research Laboratory
Biomedical researchers, headed up by Michael Ellison have initiated a project to model Eukaryotic cells in detail, called Project Cybercell.
In June 2006, a new 120 million dollar building for the National Institute for Nanotechnology (NINT) was opened on campus. The NINT complex is one of the world’s most technologically advanced research facilities, housing the quietest, and cleanest, laboratory space in Canada. Sony VAIO PCG-5N2L batteryNINT occupies five floors of the new building with the top two floors being reserved by the university for nanotechnology-related research. Recently some staff members have been jointly recruited by the NRC and the University of Alberta.
The university participated in the initial development of the Mizar system
The asteroid 99906 Uofalberta is named in the university's honour, in part because the initials of its motto Quaecumque Vera ("Whatsoever things are true") appeared in the object's provisional designation 2002 QV53Sony VAIO PCG-51513L battery.
Services for Aboriginal people
The University of Alberta provides services to Aboriginal people in more remote communities. University of Alberta provides special first-year bridging programs for Aboriginal students. The University of Alberta’s Aboriginal Teacher Education Program at Blue Quills First Nations College was developed in partnership with specific Aboriginal communities to meet specific needs within Aboriginal communitiesSony VAIO PCG-51511L battery. The Faculty of Native Studies at University of Alberta was designed to meet the knowledge needs of First Nations, Métis and Inuit. The University of Alberta reaches into Aboriginal communities to talk to potential students at a much younger age through its Summer Science Camps for Aboriginal high school studentsSony VAIO PCG-51412L battery.
The University of Alberta consistently ranks as one of the top universities in Canada. Historically the university has produced 65 Rhodes Scholars and 1 Nobel Laureate. In 2011 QS World University Rankings ranked the university 100th overall in the world. In October 2008, the University of Alberta was named one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc. Sony VAIO PCG-51411L battery, and was featured in Maclean's newsmagazine. Later that month, the university was also named one of Alberta's Top Employers. The Globe and Mail's University Report Card reflects the opinions of 32,700 current undergraduates who responded to some 100 questions about their respective universities. The University of Alberta received scores of A- and above in the following categoriesSony VAIO PCG-51312L battery:
overall academic reputation of the university, reputation of university among employers, reputation for conducting leading-edge research, reputation for undergraduate studies, reputation for graduate studies
overall quality of education, faculty members' knowledge of subjects
overall university atmosphere, sense of personal safety/security, tolerance for diverse opinions/ideas, availability of quiet study space, overall library, library services, online library resources, availability of journals/articles/periodicalsSony VAIO PCG-51311L battery, total number of library holdings, computer accessibility on campus, availability of up-to-date computer equipment, on-campus network for Internet/email, overall quality/availability of technology on campus, access to course/teaching materials online
The university has several distributed campus facilities including, in addition to the Main Campus, two auxiliary satellites: Campus Saint-Jean in southeast Edmonton, and Augustana Campus in CamroseSony VAIO PCG-51211L battery. An extensively renovated and refurbished historic Hudson's Bay department store in downtown Edmonton, renamed Enterprise Square, serves as a campus for adult students belonging to the Faculty of Extension. Notably the university owns a set of large parcels of mostly undeveloped land (currently used as an experimental farm and the site of several agricultural and sports facilities) Sony VAIO PCG-41112L battery slightly south of the main campus, called South Campus (previously the University Farm), in which an entire new university complex will gradually be constructed of similar magnitude to the Main Campus.
University, river valley, and downtown Edmonton
Also known as Main Campus, the North Campus is the original location of the University of Alberta. It is located on the southern banks of the North Saskatchewan River. It has 145 buildings on 92 hectares (230 acres) of landSony VAIO PCG-3A4L battery.
A satellite view of the main campus can be seen on Google maps.
Architect Barton Myers completed the long-range campus plan in 1969 and continued as a planner for the University until 1978.
The Campus Saint-Jean is a francophone campus located 5 km east of the main campus, in Bonnie Doon. It is the only French-language university campus west of Manitoba. Due to increasing enrolment, the Campus Saint-Jean is currently undergoing expansionSony VAIO PCG-3A3L battery, acquiring new laboratory and classroom spaces. Students at Campus Saint-Jean currently may pursue Bachelor's degrees in the sciences or arts, or complete their first year of Engineering, after which they often transfer to the University of Alberta's main campus. Bilingual Nursing and Business programs are also availableSony VAIO PCG-3A2L battery.
The Augustana Campus is located in Camrose, a small city in rural Alberta about 100 km southeast of Edmonton. In 2004, the former Augustana University College in Camrose merged with the University of Alberta, thus creating the new satellite Augustana Campus. Students enrolled at the Augustana Campus currently may pursue four-year Bachelor's degrees in arts, sciences, or musicSony VAIO PCG-3A1L battery.
Enterprise Square opened for business January 15, 2008 on the north side of the North Saskatchewan river in downtown Edmonton. It is located in the historical building previously occupied by the Hudson's Bay Company. The building underwent major renovations. Currently, Enterprise Square houses the University of Alberta Faculty of ExtensionSony VAIO PCG-394L battery, the professional development activities of the Alberta School of Business, the Alberta Business Family Institute, and the Design Gallery. It is also the new home of the University of Alberta Alumni Association.
The University of Alberta has future plans for one more Edmonton campus. The South Campus is much larger in terms of land area and located two kilometres to the south of the Main Campus, with a convenient high speed link via Light Rail TransitSony VAIO PCG-393L battery. The transit station is near Foote Field and Saville Sports Centre, forming a natural gateway to the new campus architectural model. Since South Campus LRT opened in April 2009, the U of A became the only university in Canada with four LRT/Subway stations on its campuses (Along with University, Health Sciences/Jubilee, and Bay/Enterprise Square stations) Sony VAIO PCG-391L battery. Preliminary long range development thinking for South Campus implies it may become an expanding academic and research extension of the Main Campus, with rapid development over the next few decades. New architectural guidelines, differing from the Main Campus might encourage a somewhat more consistent, high quality, aesthetic architectural styleSony VAIO PCG-384L battery. As there is a large expanse of land available, significant green space will be incorporated to provide a park like context overall.
Recent developments and investment in health and science
$1.6 billion dollars in construction is underway at the University in regards to fields in health and science. Most projects will be complete in 2011 and are expected to greatly expand the University of Alberta's research capacity in the field of health in particularSony VAIO PCG-383L battery. Currently the University of Alberta attracts approximately $500 million in external research funding a year, the second highest in Canada, and is expected to increase due to added state-of-the-art research and teaching capacity.
Centre for Interdisciplinary Science
One of the recent major projects, completed in the spring of 2011 with its grand opening on the 23rd of September 2011, was the construction of a new $400 million state-of-the-art facility known as the Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Science (CCIS) Sony VAIO PCG-382L battery, a facility for interdisciplinary research groups, as well as the Department of Physics, the Faculty of Science Offices and the Interdepartmental Science Students' Society's Office. Three buildings – V-Wing (a large one-floor building composed of 10 lecture halls, of which two will remain), the Avadh Bhatia Physics Building (a six-storey building formerly housing the Department of Physics offices and laboratories) Sony VAIO PCG-381L battery, and the old Centre for Subatomic Research– were demolished to make way for CCIS.
The Edmonton Clinic
Construction on two new buildings totalling $909 million 170,000 m² multidisciplinary health science facility, surrounding the Health Sciences LRT Station, started in early 2008. The Edmonton Clinic North being built by the University of Alberta is slated for completion in 2011. The Edmonton Clinic South being built by Alberta Health Services is slated for completion in 2012. Sony VAIO PCG-7185L batteryThe Edmonton Clinic (formerly the Health Science Ambulatory Learning Centre) is a joint project with Alberta Health Services, and consists of two separate buildings. Edmonton Clinic South, a 9-story building, will focus on patient care and house most of the medical and dental clinics, while Edmonton Clinic North is a 6-story building that will focus on research and education currently held at the universitySony VAIO PCG-7184L battery.
Health Research Innovation Facility (HRIF)
Two new $300 million buildings adjacent to the Heritage Medical Research Centre building on the main campus will contribute to research by allowing the university to hire over 100 additional biomedical and health researchers, this is projected to result in a doubling of research funding by 2014Sony VAIO PCG-7183L battery.
Health Research Innovation Facility (HRIF) is a translational research centre designed to create an environment for innovative "bench-to-bedside" health research by increasing interaction between researchers and clinicians focused on common medical issues. A total of 65,000 square metres (699,700 square feet) gross area constructed on two sitesSony VAIO PCG-7182L battery.
The hub of the complex is HRIF West, an 8-story building which provides the main entrance to the complex and becomes the critical link between MSB and HMRC. The atrium connection between MSB and HRIF West provides an impressive public venue for the entire facility. The large Lecture TheatreSony VAIO PCG-7181L battery, Teaching and Learning Centre and food service kiosks are located with the atrium which also supports interaction between researchers as well as important links to the existing circulation systems.
HRIF East provides access to the complex from the south and east as well as to the Alberta Diabetes Research Institute ("ADRI") which will occupy several floors within this 9-stoery building. Both the east and west buildings of HRIF are linked at every floor to HMRC with the exception of Level 1 of HRIF WestSony VAIO PCG-7174L battery. HRIF West is linked to MSB through the atrium and bridge connections at several levels. In addition HRIF East connects directly to NANUC as well as the new parkade to the south. Completing the complex, the Zeidler (GI) Building and Clinical Training Centre ("CTC") is also connected to the parkade and directly linked to Walter C. Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre ("WCMHSC").Sony VAIO PCG-7173L battery A Bio-Hazard Level 3 laboratory is located in the basement of the east building, one of the largest one in Canada at over 5,000 square feet (460 m2) over nine stories.
Student life and residences
South side of the Students' Union Building.
See also: University of Alberta Students' Union
In 1946 the university student council met to consider possible blueprints for a new building, including a large auditorium, during a time when veterans were returning to complete their interrupted studiesSony VAIO PCG-7172L battery. The new building was financed by a series of mechanisms, and the completed structure, after a series of additions, now with the large auditorium, named after Myer Horowitz, opened in 1967.
The Students' Union Building (SUB) has been expanded twice since its original construction. It holds a number of services and businesses owned and operated by the Students' Union as well as services owned and operated by the University of Alberta, including the University BookstoreSony VAIO PCG-7171L battery.
Undergraduate and graduate students' organizations are registered with the Students Union (SU) and Graduate Students Association (GSA) of the university.
The University of Alberta offers a wide range of residences on its campuses.
While a majority of the university's students live off-campus, a significant number of students from outside Edmonton in early years of their post secondary education opt to live in residences operated by the university's Residence ServicesSony VAIO PCG-7162L battery.
Lister Centre is a large residence complex, located in four towers, mainly occupied by first and second year students. It provides a full care boarding package, with hospitality programs to help integrate new students into university life. The complex offers a large number of furnished single and double dormitory style rooms with common kitchens and living areasSony VAIO PCG-7161L battery. There is a large scale cafeteria, in the central building of the complex. It is the largest residence on campus with a population of 1800.
HUB International is the second largest residence on campus with a population of 850. It contains a combination of student apartments and small storefronts. The apartments are a mix of bachelor suites, double, and quadruple bedroom apartments. The 957-foot-long (292 m) design, by architect Barton MyersSony VAIO PCG-7154L battery, has an interior corridor housing businesses and restaurants that can be viewed from the apartments above, giving it the feel of a residential street. The official student group for HUB Residents is the HUB Community Association (HCA)
International House is a new residence designed for international students and a few Canadian students, interested in living with international students. It offers modern well equipped single bedrooms with common kitchens and living spaces, both furnished and unfurnishedSony VAIO PCG-7153L battery.
Newton Place is a high rise offering older students an apartment-style facility.
East Campus Village comprises houses and walk-up townhouses, offering older and married students a modern multi-room facility.
Michener Park. Offers older students another apartment-style facility.
St. Joseph's College Residence operates an all-male residence, independent of the university's official residence service. They also operate an all-female residence located in one stairwell of HUB Mall ResidenceSony VAIO PCG-7152L battery.
La Résidence Saint-Jean operates a modern apartment style, French language oriented, residence on Campus Saint-Jean, about six kilometers east of the Main Campus.
Augustana Faculty Residences comprise two distinct compounds. The 300-room First Year residence complex is similar in style to, although much smaller than, Lister Centre, and is composed entirely of double roomsSony VAIO PCG-7151L battery. Across a small ravine from the rest of the campus there is another compound of seven smaller buildings (six residences and a common area) known collectively as the "Ravine Complex" that house almost exclusively upperclassmen. The Augustana Faculty is the only faculty in the University with a residence requirement whereby, with certain exceptions, all students are expected to spend their first year in residence on campusSony VAIO PCG-7148L battery.
Graduate Residence is the University of Alberta's newest residence, consisting of four buildings located in the East Campus community. It offers fully furnished walkup apartments (studio or two bedroom) and grants priority to graduate students and students in Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and LawSony VPCW21M2E/WI battery.
Greek societies were banned at the University of Alberta until 1930 after a public campaign. Today the Greek population counts around 500 involved and active students on campus. There are many notable Greek alumni from the University of Alberta including former Alberta premier Peter Lougheed, scientist Jay Ingram, former Conservative minister Jim Prentice, current M.P. Linda Duncan and prolific Canadian author W.O. MitchellSony VPCW21C7E battery.
The female fraternities on campus, recognized through the National Pan-Hellenic Conference, are Alpha Gamma Delta, Delta Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, and Ceres. The male fraternities on campus, as recognized by the Inter Fraternity Council, are Delta Chi, Delta Upsilon, Farmhouse, Zeta Psi, Theta Chi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Pi Kappa AlphaSony VPCW12S1E/WZ battery, Phi Gamma Delta, and Phi Delta Theta. The IFC also recognizes the Alpha Psi local sorority as a member.
Campus shooting incident
Just after 12:00 am on June 15, 2012, three armored car guards employed by G4S Security were killed at the university's HUB Mall. The suspect is 21-year-old Travis Brandon Baumgartner, who was also a armored car guard for G4SSony VPCW12S1E/W battery.
According to the investigation into the shooting, Baumagartner and four other armored car guards entered the HUB Mall, after which shots were heard by students nearby. Three guards were killed while one was critically injured.
South side of the Butterdome sports complex (officially called the Universiade Pavilion).
The University of Alberta is represented in Canadian Interuniversity Sport by the Alberta Golden Bears (men's) and the Alberta Pandas (women's). The Green & Gold Soccer Club is the university's soccer centreSony VPCW12S1E/T battery.
As of November 2006, the Panda's hockey team has won the Canada West Conference 7 times in the 8 year history of competition. In addition, they have claimed the national championship five times in the last seven years, in 2006, 2004, 2003, 2002, and 2000. They also boast a pair of silver medals (2005, 1999) since the inception of the CIS championship in 1997–98Sony VPCW12S1E/P battery. When the Pandas lost the CIS championship game in March 2005, it ended a 110-game undefeated streak (109–0–1).
The Pandas volleyball team are frequent national contenders. They last claimed the national championship after beating Laval University 3–1 in March 2007. They previously won 6 national titles in a row beginning in the mid 1990sSony VPCW11S1E/W battery.
Alberta Golden Bears
Main article: Alberta Golden Bears
The Golden Bears hockey team has played in the CIS University Cup finals, winning an unprecedented 13 times. Every fall the team plays against the Edmonton Oilers rookies. In 2006 they lost 6–3, ending their five game winning streak against the rookies.
Green & Gold Soccer Academy
The soccer team of the Golden Bears played as Green & Gold Soccer Academy and L'Academie Vimy Ridge AcademySony VPCW11S1E/T battery.
Proposals for enhanced facilities
Physical Activity and Wellness (PAW) Centre
The $65 million project has been approved by the student body and is in the final stages of approval. The University of Alberta is proposing to develop a new 2,000 m2 (22,000 sq ft) fitness centre and state-of-the-art climbing complex as a part of the proposed overall Physical Activity and Wellness (PAW) Centre. The PAW Centre would include the integration the Fitness and Lifestyle Centre/Climbing Complex at the corner of 87 Avenue and 114 StreetSony VPCW11S1E/P battery.
The PAW Centre will enhance student experience by providing: A new indoor atrium student lifestyle centre called the “social street,” which is created by enclosing the existing outdoor space between the main gymnasium, Universiade Pavilion and the Van Vliet Centre – East Wing; Additional student-focused multi-purpose space, including food retailSony VPCYA1S1E/B battery, quiet study space, a games room, lounges, and prayer/meditation space; Fitness component includes individual and group training space, free weights, machine weights, stretching areas, cardio and fitness equipment, and locker room renovations; combine new construction with interior renovations of existing buildingsSony VPCYA1V9E/B battery.
A number of songs are commonly played and sung at various events such as commencement, convocation, and athletic games. 'University of Alberta cheer song' has words by R.K. Michael and music by Chester Lambertson (U of A 1936);  'The Evergreen and Gold' (1915) with words by William H. Alexander is sung to the Russian national anthem. 'Quaecumque vera's words and music are by Ewart W. Stutchbury. Sony VPCY21S1E/SI battery A recent arrangement of the 'University of Alberta Cheer Song' by University of Alberta Professor of Secondary Education, Dr. Thomas Dust has been performed at University convocation ceremonies for the past several years.
Jonathan Schaeffer, computer scientist and the Canada Research Chair in Artificial Intelligence.
Edward D. Blodgett, author and researcher in comparative literature, religion and film/media.
Jacob Masliyah, pioneer researcher in oil-sands extraction, recipient Order of CanadaSony VPCY21S1E/L battery.
Jonathan Locke Hart, author, literary scholar and historian.
Greg Hollingshead, Canadian novelist and professor of English
Adam Morton, philosopher and member of the Royal Society of Canada
James Shapiro, medical researcher
Ali A. Abdi – anthropologist and author.
Arya Mitra Sharma – Alberta Health Services endowed Chair in Obesity Research and Management.
Mark Lewis, mathematical ecologist and the Canada Research Chair in Mathematical Biology at the Centre for Mathematical BiologySony VPCY21S1E/G battery.
William Hardy Alexander, one of the university's first four professors and university historian
Margaret Atwood, author.
Ludwig von Bertalanffy, (1901–1972) Professor for Theoretical Biology of the Department of Zoology and Psychology (1960–1968), helped establish the Advanced Center for Theoretical Psychology, originator of General Systems TheorySony VPCY11S1E/S battery
John B. Dossetor, Professor Emeritus of Medicine and Bioethics
Henry Marshall Tory, first president, founder of three universities, the Alberta Research Council and National Research Council of Canada
Werner Israel, professor of physics and leader in the theory of black holes. Fellow of the Royal Society and Royal Society of CanadaSony VPCY11S1E battery
Karol Józef Krótki, (1922–2007) – active in Department of Sociology in 1968–1990, He was instrumental in establishing a strong demography program and the Population Research Laboratory. In 1983 Dr. Krotki was awarded the title of University Professor and after his retirement remained active as a Professor Emeritus. Fellow of the Royal Society of CanadaSony VPCZ11X9E/B battery.
Malcolm Forsyth, Professor of composition, Department of Music. Juno Award winner and member of the Order of Canada.